Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Milan

Milan is a very fashionable and business oriented city, but there are still historical and architectural sites of interest interspersed throughout the city, most notably the world famous Duomo. The Duomo was probably one of the top 3 churches I have ever seen, and I have seen quite a few places of worship in the 3 months I've been here. Unfortunately, it rained the entire time, but I'm still glad I got to visit.

Captions:
1. Duomo.... it has 135 spires (pointy things), each with a little statue on top. It truly is impressive.
2-3. Inside the Duomo
4. On top of the Duomo
5. Galleria Vittorio Emmanuele II... a high class shopping area.
6. Castello Sforezco.. a fortress of the Renaissance times, but always under control of foreign powers until the unification of Italy in the 19th century.
7-8. The Last Supper (had to sneak the pictures, sorry for the poor quality. My roommate tried to sneak too, but he got caught and they made him delete the pictures)... it was much bigger than I imagined and more impressive as well. Had to make the reservation almost 2 months in advance. It is deteriorating so hurry out and see it! I'd put it just below the Sistine Chapel/Last Judgement and David off the top of my head.






No comments: