Friday, November 28, 2008

Confused National Identity

Contrary to popular belief, pilgrims did not settle on the shores of Italy and feast with the native peoples in a festival that would later be called Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving does not exist here... try as you might, but you're not finding my boy Squanto alongside the history pages of Julius Caesar, Galieo, and Vittorio Emmanuele. However, certain Residence Candia participants took part in a makeshift Thanksgiving that involved zero turkey except for the paper-made turkeys chillin on our tables as decoration. Sean and I made twice-baked potatoes with salt, pepper, cheese, and Paula Dean-like loads of butter (sour cream doesn't exist in Rome), which went over very well actually. Other highlights included homemade pumpkin pie, chocolate cake, chocolate pie, vanilla pie, stuffing, more potatoes, veggies (I tended to avoid this section), cranberry sauce, mac n' cheese, and, best of all, seven-layer dip and tortilla chips. I also decided to put my own personal twist on my Italian Thanksgiving since I was confused with the amount of American-ness in so short of time. So...I dressed up like "Guido"... a stereotypical Italian man (normally kind of derogatory.. but I'm not sure). I borrowed the pants from Amber, my neighbor on the floor below, and the jacket / glasses from my roommate Manny. Now for the pics...




















1 comment:

Jamie Ward said...

you surely are the queen of dress-up.