Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Budapest... Different from all the rest.

Budapest was a spectacular city: the architecture was unique, the people were enormous (mainly fat, but also tall), and some of the activities we did, I have never done in any Western European city. We stayed for 5 days and 4 nights in an amazing hostel... a really laid-back staff, a big common room with over a hundred (pirated) dvd's, spacious bedrooms, and a kitchen... all for $17 / night. It was a cheap city by European standards (200 forint = $1) so we were getting gyros for the equivalent of $2.50. We did the typical site seeing like other cities, but in Budapest we went caving (crawling on our stomachs and climbing rock faces for about 3.5 hours) and went to the baths (thermal springs fed many baths of all different temperatures, including an outdoor pool area seen at the bottom). It was a great experience.

Captions:
1. Parlament seen from Gellert Hill
2-3. Autumn! .. I've never really experienced real Fall, and I really enjoyed it. Budapest was truly a beautiful place. I just wish it could've been clearer this day.
4. Buda Castle and Chain Bridge in the backgroud
5. Chain Bridge and St. Stephen's
6. On Buda Castle overlooking Parlament
7. Another Parlament shot from across the Danube River
8-9. Budapest by night was beautiful, I wish I took more pictures. Chain Bridge and Royal Palace on Buda Castle
10. St. Stephen's
11. Posing in our caving jumpsuits prior to entering. It was very physically exhausting.
12. Inside the cave
13. Heroes Square
14-15. Outdoor area of the baths... there were far more baths indoors than outdoors of all different temperatures.













No comments: